View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
MWS

This discussion brings up a good point for thought...

Sometimes when trying to make a decision, I mentally move the needle to the extremes and by doing so, I can gauge where on the spectrum the prospective purchase resides. Given that, let's compare a "pristine/never driven" 986 (shrink wrapped, if you will) to a well driven (not over-driven) one with say 200,000 miles that is current on all service. Which one would you gravitate toward? For me, the chance to buy a "factory fresh" 986 (in appearance only) would be much more exciting than a well maintained (yet showing wear) alternative. I would also know that the first option would require a lot of mechanical service (far more than the second option) but in doing so, both cars would then be at the same "baseline" regarding all future maintenance costs. The way I see it, if both options were the same initial cost, I'd prefer to spend money on the mechanicals rather than trying to restore an entire car to pristine appearance, only to have a "showroom" car with 200,000 miles on the clock.

So that's my opinion (and in the end, only valuable to me), but if the OP uses the same train of thought, it would be up to them to decide where on my imaginary spectrum this car resides....and exactly how many fun-tickets they are willing to part with to bring the car up to spec. To each their own, just trying to help avert the "well I could have bought..."
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote