View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
kk2002s

Garage
My wife drove the Boxster for the first time

In 6+ years of ownership, I have been my Boxster's only driver. A year or so ago I started to have sympathy for what the experience might be for my passengers. They have always said they really didn't like riding in it. As I look at the car with the top down, it's really a small car out there with all those SUVs, PU trucks and tractor trailers. Tooling around at 80+ mph or late breaking into back road curves, I started to realize maybe being a passenger kinda sucked and was a scary experience.
So last Sunday my wife suggested we go for a nothing drive before it went into the high 90s. I thought, I know a perfect road that would have no traffic and she could finally try driving it. She has driven our manual camaro, our manual mustang GT and manual Nissan Xterea, so she knows her way around a manual trans. I was already to teach her to let the clutch out a few times to get use to it, but no, she just pulled away with out any problems and was off. She drove a few miles on those back roads without any problems. I was impressed. I asked her, her driving impressions and she confirmed that she can now see why people want to drive a Porsche, it goes where you want it to go. I was also curious if she thought it felt small from behind the wheel. Her perspective changed, from behind the wheel, she didn't feel small and vulnerable. She felt confident and in control. So while she didn't seem to miss a beat driving a Stick, she also confirmed my thought that driving a car that has this much control and feedback really does erase that reality that you are probably the smallest thing out there.
Now I need to get her out on a Hwy @ 75+ mph