View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #20
MWS

I've heard the mileage failure rate nonsense for years and have always quickly dismissed it as it's just counterintuitive to common sense, or at least to my limited version of "common sense". I'd agree that low use cars (and bearings) are (or can be) subject to failure for many understandable reasons, but the logic of thinking "I've made it to xx,xxx mi without issue, so I don't need to worry about it" is just plain dumb. It's a bearing, under load and with friction...it will fail; and the longer the bearing is subjected to wear, the greater risk of failure.

To use an analogy...let's say that you purchased tires that you discovered had a known design failure and that you had heard that the failure *usually* happened under 1,000mi...if you continued to use such tires, would you think "I've made it to 50,000mi, I guess my tires are good" and continue to blissfully drive along? Of course not. Tires wear, and the wear is visable. Just because a component is buried deep and out of sight doesn't mean wear isn't slowly degrading the functionality and shortening the lifespan.

I can understand trying to find comfort and console in a belief to to mitigate fear, but those who wish to follow the "high mileage IMSB" preachers are *ahem* delusional. Please accept my most sincere apologies if I have offended, but please, don't just believe something because you want it to be true.

Of course, I am fully open to meaningful contradiction. My complete and total wrongness on any given subject only leads to a learning experience.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote