View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
VeryRed997

CV Joint Seal Failure

My new-to-me 2001 S is in pretty decent overall shape. I "rescued" it from a life in an unheated parking garage in Minneapolis where it spent many, if not all, of its 48k miles. In late May, early June, I left the car with a dealer after the PPI and had them do some work on it to make sure it would make it 1500 miles home. I flew in on June 6th and got home late the next day.

The car pretty much ran flawlessly. After getting home, I had a local indie shop change the transmission oil and re-balance the wheels. But last week when I pulled the driver's side rear wheel to install new drop links, I discovered grease everywhere. And the same thing on the passenger side.

So as I sit here pondering what to do -Porsche brand axles, or risk fate and use one of the cheap alternatives- I have been thinking about what could cause both axles to puke at about the same time. I will be generous and assume the joint seals were in good shape up through the wheel balancing 2 weeks ago.

Could the change from a much more mild summer climate to the heat and humidity of eastern VA cause the CV joint failures? What else could cause the seals to let go?

Would appreciate hearing your ideas.