View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
maytag
Who's askin'?

First track days in the boxster!

Hey y'all!
I joined the Intermountain region's PCA group for a weekend of fun and excitement at at UMC (utah motorsports campus, formerly miller motorsports park). We were scheduled to run the east track on Friday and the west on Saturday (today).

This being my first track day with IRPCA, I was slotted into a beginners run group and assigned an instructor. So glad for that! My instructor had never driven a Porsche before, so we had a blast as he showed me some things I can work on, and I watched as the hook sank deeper and deeper: yup.... he's gonna want a boxster, haha. This was actually the first "official" track instruction I've ever received in a car.

After the first session, they moved me into a more fitting run group, where I was playing with some exotic machinery, and some very experienced, really fast guys.

They ran a great event. Lots of laps, not much traffic, good people. And any of you who are familiar with the facility know that there are few in the country with equal facilities. incredible venue.

I prepared for this day by purchasing a cheap set of wheels to put some track tires on. I elected to go with the federal 595RSR-RR tires. They're cheap! I'm about $500 total, with tax and mt & blnc. They worked quite well, with lots of grip. They're a bit picky on pressure; I eventually settled with 36/35, front/rear (hot). The shoulder worked well, and the tire gave a little audible feedback, as you'd hope.
I also put on EBC YELLOW STUFF pads and flushed the brakes with motul 600. The pads are what I'd call "okay". I spent 2 days bedding them according to the mfr's directions, but I expected more from them. I mean, they're good.... but by about lap 5 they're smoking and I start worrying. By lap 8 they're starting to fade. (My "brake wear" light came on in my first session, causing some mild panic for me, but everything seems fine. I'm assuming I damaged a sensor? Anyone have any thoughts?)

We ended the day yesterday with a time-trial. Not everyone entered, but I did, just for fun. I ended up fastest boxster / cayman of the group. My best lap of the day was my last lap, suggesting to me that I'm learning stuff, and doing it right (right -er? Haha) but I'm very aware of places I can pick up tenths, halves, maybe even full seconds! I just need to slow down and do it.

Today started really well. We were on the west track, which is faster, and which I always considered more "technical" on the superbike. I jumped right into the fast - lane behind a GT3 and a cayman GT4RS, along with an audi S8 and a newish mustang of some bad-ass designation or another ( I'll admit I've never much cared what all those letters are, haha). Things were clicking- along really well. I was losing touch with the "exotics" in places, but reeling them back in a few. Kind of a lonely session, but I learned a ton.

Side - bar: I haven't been on this track in about 10 years.... and the last time I was, I broke both legs in turn one, when a first-timer t-boned me on the superbike. I had some real anxiety at turn one for a couple of laps, haha.

Second session: slotted in with the same group, and was catching the mustang when a BIG WHITE CLOUD started masking the track behind me... and my CEL CAME on. Long story short: pretty sure its my AOS.
DAY OVER.

But man, what a hoot. Seriously addicted now, I'm sure. Haha.

I used Harry's laptimer with mixed success. It worked pretty well, but the ram- mount I bought for it was far too "wiggly" ad the video is therefore hard you watch. I'd love to post a lap or two here, but for the life of me i can't did where HLT stores the video on android (Samsung S7). Anybody?

So the AOS Is on my todo list. What's the sweet track setup? Seems like a guy could put a catch - can in - line, so it'll fill that instead of dumping into the motor? What do y'all who track or race regularly do with this?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 06-23-2018 at 05:48 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote