View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
Doug427

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmootzler View Post
Thanks for the thorough response -- this is exactly what I was hoping to find. It sounds like the Miata can only really sell itself on a test drive, which I admittedly have yet to do (both early-2000s Boxsters and early-2010s Miatas are oddly scarce in my area).

Not to try and put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you're saying the main drawback with the Porsche is maintenance and reliability.

Is it safe to assume that the IMS bearing is good on a car that's past 80k miles on the original IMS? My understanding is that the bad bearings typically blow out pretty early.

For the cracked heads, water pump replacement, AOS replacement, etc. are there typically warning signs prior to catastrophic failure? And how expensive are we talking? I can afford a grand or two in repairs and could do simple stuff myself, although anything that requires lifting the car up and/or taking out chunks of the drivetrain is a bit iffy.
It's not just maintenance. The truth is, and some just don't want to hear it, is that Porsche dropped the ball when they engineered the engine in this car, and then washed their hands of responsibility for the issues when they started popping up with disturbing regularity.

As for the IMS bearing, if it lasts for 80K miles as you mentioned, it'll likely be OK, but there are no guarantees whatsoever. You just never know. When your engine goes "bang", you'll know it went. As for the cracked heads, which is my current situation, there;s no warning at all, and it's far too common to be acceptable. AOS will usually give some warning in the form of a huge mosquito control style cloud behind you. Water pump will usually start leaking.

I'd buy another Miata without hesitation. I absolutely LOVE driving my Boxster S. That said, I will never buy another Porsche product. Lesson learned. It's my first, and it'll be my last. I know that'll piss off some of the loyalists on here, but it is what it is.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote