View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Cunningr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Regardless if you consider it a spoiler to 'spoil' the airflow over the vehicle (thus reducing lift) or a 'wing' to create addl downforce or both...

If the opposing force is not prevalent, specifically copious airflow volume vis-a-vis vehicle speed, then the wing/spoiler is merely a decoration. It's deployment is speed dependent for a reason... and I'm sure has A LARGE safety margin (~ 72MPH deployment and 55MPH retraction limits as I recall).

Think of it another way... You build a treadmill wide enough to accommodate a jet airplane's landing gear. You then put a jet on said treadmill and crank up speed so the jet's wheels/tires rotate as fast on this special treadmill as they would on a tarmac/runway during take-off. Does the jet take off? Of course not.

Good luck
I get that the auto deployment and the function and its is there for a reason to add traction, but they also added a manual deployment button for a reason.

Deployment speed is 72Mph and retract is 55 Mph, so that means you might need it or you might not in that range to get more traction.

My question is pointed at that specific speed range on a curvy road. If you are going from between 35 Mph to 85 Mph and hitting a curve a 55 ect.. the in between range I would think just deploying the wing would help keep you planted. At a lower speed I could not see it making you unstable.

So I will mark you in the No leave it in auto mode column.

My theory is that if you are driving more aggressive then you should just deploy the wing manually to have the benefits of the extra down force in the curves. Normal driving with wife and busy street leave it in auto mode to stabilize at high speed.

I am really interested in hearing from the track guys and their opinion.