View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
thom4782

Hi all:

I'd like your help placing the following bet. Option 1: replace the bank 1 variocam solenoid for about $1500. Option 2: replace the bank 1 variocam actuator completely for about $3500.

Since this 1341 problem first popped up, the CEL has gone off for several days and then come back on for several days. The on/off again cycle has happened multiple times over the last 1000 miles.

The local independent looked into the problem and found that the following. Compared to the bank 2 actuator, the bank 1 actuator adjusts camshaft angle slowly. In other words, bank 2 seems to adjust instantly whereas bank 1 takes several seconds to adjust fully. The indie showed me the graph to prove this.

To me, this slow reaction sounds like a dying solenoid. If I bet wrong by replacing the solenoid and and its the actuator, I'll have flushed the $1500 down the drain and have to go to option 2.

If you were in my shoes, would you drop the $3500 right off the bat and go with option 2 or risk going with option 1. It's not that I can't afford the $3500. I just hate to spend $2000 that I don't have to.

Thanks
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote