View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Cunningr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Looking into this as well.
The challenge I see is that, if one rebuilds themselves, there is a chunk of the cost associated with special tools, manuals etc... to do it the correct way. Also, there is a learning curve vs a chevy V8 rebuild, for me anyways. I made a spreadsheet for minimum component replace (and no upgrades), and you're still looking at $2-$3K. If you upgrade springs, redo heads, valves, lifters, tensioners, chains, guides, upgrade IMS etc... just in parts alone it will be more like $4-$5K, not including any work to the crank case. I do like the fact that you know where you are though and that it is basically a new and better than new engine. With used, it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gona get BUT, you can also factor in some savings if you part out or sell the damaged engine.
Good point, but sounds like he has an engine builder already assisting, and the engine torn down. Thing goes back to used unknown or spend cash and do it right. A used engine could spin a rod bearing or last years. Since he made the comment that it happened on a track day, sounds like its a car that will be track driven so would think it would be better to go the known route. These are basically expensive toys for most of us I think.