View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
MNBoxster

Hi,

The issue was not a lack of blocks. It was a production run of reject blocks, something like 3600 in total ('99 MY production was 22,063 units, so maybe 16.5% of all '99's were affected). Demand for the car was so high that Porsche chose to sleeve the substandard blocks to prevent interupting supply of '99 model year cars only, and they were distributed worldwide, not specifically to the US Market.

Most failed early in their life/mileage and had their engines replaced with standard non-sleeved engines.

The odds of coming across one today which has not been addressed is probably 1/10th the odds of having RMS failure. It simply isn't an issue which should concern you.

Excellence may have done a recent article, but they either found one of the few remaining cars (beating the odds as I said), or in a need to come up with a few column-inches resurrected the past. The Press and Hearsay have blown this all out of proportion.

I own a '99 and if buying another, I wouldn't even consider this issue at all...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote