View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
mrmickeymouse

Ref: “How would you do that? The engine is in the wrong place and the car is too heavy to ever handle like a 996. “

You have me thoroughly confused, are you referring to a 986 [Boxster], and the adaptation of handling upgrades to the 996.

If so, if you were to put 5-7K into a 996 handling characteristics, you could get close enough to match a Boxster’s handling, sure the Boxster is a mid engine design, do you really think the 996 does not handle that well.

Think about it, how many championships have a 911 won, how many Boxster championships and please do not compare these little autocrosses and such.

I mean real racing the Rolex series, Le Mans etc…

There is no comparison; it is all about driver skills, not the car, the car is a tool to put your skills to the ground, if you do not have the skills. The car will not give them to you; it will only make you look good, when you are not so good.

It would be nice to live in a world were the Boxster is the best, I wish…

I would be driving the best car, do not get me wrong, I love the car, but after 30 years of working on cars, I no longer want to figure out what I did wrong the last time I played with the cars configuration.

I have learned if you do not stay as close to stock, you will hamper the reliability of a very good car.

I like driving and not writing for help because of some engine upgrade I tried to accomplish. Stock is best; modifications have reciprocal effect on dependability.

Maybe you like to fix your car, I do not, and I have done enough wrenching to know it is no longer fun, but work….

Not to infuriate you more, but if a layman cannot tell the 996 engine from a Boxster engine [Wow]. Just look for the yellow oil filler [it seems pretty obvious], besides about 100 other things to notice.

Sorry for making you mad with my comparison, but it is my opinion…

Looks can be deceiving… come on trunks, are we driving or going golfing…Please.....
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote