View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
rfuerst911sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Gas containing ethanol has multiple downsides:

1. A given volume of ethanol is approximately one third lower in BTU output than the same volume of pure gas, so any level of ethanol is going to have lower power potential.

2. Ethanol picks up water and carries it in gas. As the direct result, any gas containing ethanol will cause mild steel fuel system components, lines, or tanks to rust.

3. Vehicles converted to E85 use have all stainless fuel components and special injectors to deal with the corrosive nature of higher alcohol level's water content.
Curious on your thoughts of running non-ethanol 89 octane vs. E10 93 octane ? As you stated any % of ethanol will have less BTU's then " straight " gas . So is non 89 close to E10 93 octane ? Will there be a noticeable difference in performance ? I know the knock sensors will kick in if needed but just curious on your thoughts . My gut tells me 89 octane non-ethanol may be the better choice .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote