View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #12
Geof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
So I called the place where I bought the car last year. They're friends of mine, and I trust them to tell me the truth.

They checked their records, and saw that they'd replaced both the water pump and thermostat before I got it. They said that means they replaced the coolant, and they used (drum roll please) Porsche OEM coolant! It's a good thing I asked before I did anything. Because I don't have tools or experience with this sort of thing, I took the car to them today. They're going to do a flush and fill (with Porsche OEM coolant) and do a pressure test.

When I pulled out of the garage, I noticed a tiny spot on the floor with a clear, slightly odorous fluid. It felt kind of slick, but not like oil. This is new, so I'm going to think it's coolant. So I may have a small leak.

Those of you who are better at this than me: If there is a small leak, will a pressure test pick it up? If not, is there an easy way to figure out where a leak is coming from?

Dave
Ask them what brand of water pump. The aftermarket pumps are pretty much garbage with the exception of Pierburg. Porsche factory is your best bet on that one too. Also ask if they installed a standard temp sensor or low temp sensor. Generally a good upgrade is the low temp version.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote