View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
So I called the place where I bought the car last year. They're friends of mine, and I trust them to tell me the truth.

They checked their records, and saw that they'd replaced both the water pump and thermostat before I got it. They said that means they replaced the coolant, and they used (drum roll please) Porsche OEM coolant! It's a good thing I asked before I did anything. Because I don't have tools or experience with this sort of thing, I took the car to them today. They're going to do a flush and fill (with Porsche OEM coolant) and do a pressure test.

When I pulled out of the garage, I noticed a tiny spot on the floor with a clear, slightly odorous fluid. It felt kind of slick, but not like oil. This is new, so I'm going to think it's coolant. So I may have a small leak.

Those of you who are better at this than me: If there is a small leak, will a pressure test pick it up? If not, is there an easy way to figure out where a leak is coming from?

Dave
Sounds good so far. Pressure testing is to detect small leakage so they could tell for sure to diagnose your coolant loss. Good luck!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote