View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
sfkjeld

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
They will come up... might be awhile, but they will. It’s your clock that is killing your value, but for a well sorted car, 11-12 I think. Farmers totaled my first 02S with 85 on the clock at $13.5. Bought my current car for 12ish. A bargain really. Given these cars are basically considered “throw aways” to some, good ones will start to diminish. They are definitely on the bottom of the curve. The 356’s were considered throw aways in the 70’s, now look. Even the lowly 914 is getting some crazy money. Anyway, as others have said, keeping any old car on the road is generally a loosing proposition. So it’s really a labor of love, and chalk up the cost of ownership over the years and drive it till it explodes.
I’ve been buying worn out sports cars since the 70’s. Started with Alfas and Brit cars. And it was all about buying as cheaply as possible then drive the car for a few years and hope to recover enough to buy the next ratty car. Usually paid around $2k. I probably came close a few times, but not by much. Then I moved up to worn out 911s in the mid 80’s. First one was a faux ‘72 S for $5k. I didn’t even know how to tell a T, E or S. Turned out to be an E with after market webers. Glorious sound. Sold it a few years later for $4700, but put some $$ in it. After regretting the hell out of selling it, I bought a ‘69 E. Great body and interior, marginal 2.0L Motor. Found a real ‘70 S motor a year later and swapped it in. Again, not a real healthy motor but it sure roared. Paid $4900 and sold for $6100. Given the cost of S motor ($2800), I fell behind there too. Next a ‘78SC for $10k. Rebuilt motor and 80k mi. Was great for a few years, then developed leaks along the cam towers. Sold it for $7800.

En Toto, given how all of these cars have appreciated, I could have probably stored them all and sold them today for a profit. In the 911 cases, a lot of profit.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote