View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Hey again, you know what, i have done that afew times already...well truthfully i do that every weekend while im washing my car, There always very clean looking, I notice a little oil looker looking thing on top of the engine....would cleaning this out help any??? and if it does help, how to i go about cleaning that without damaging any components of the engine while im at it?
Hi,

Flushing the radiators when you wash your car can actually be counter-productive. This is because you will be forcing any accumulated debris deeper between the radiator fins and not necessarily out the other side. This can restrict the airflow even further than it already is. It may look clean/clear, but the debris can travel much deeper into the fins than you are able to see visually.

The only effective way to clean them is to remove the covers behind them and back-flush through the Radiator to the front of the car. This way, the debris is forced back out the direction it entered. It will move toward a less restricted area, not away from it. It is not a small job, but usually only necessary every, or every other, season depending upon the area you live and drive.

I have no idea what you mean by Oil Looker Thing. Are you talking about the Power Steering Reservoir? If so, it's not a bad idea to keep it clean, but so far as it aiding in cooling the engine, it won't have much effect, if any. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote