View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
dghii

Opinions welcome (little 986 conent)

I value the opinions of this board....
Wait, I value the collective wisdom of this board....there, that's better.

For no good reason, I've slowly come to appreciate and consider the purchase of a 996. I can't justify it but of course that has nothing to do with my thought process.

Background:
I've owned 2 seat roadster since high school, mostly fiat spiders and x1/9. Throw in a couple of alfa Spiders (one of which I still own). I graduated to a few NA Miatas and then owned a Z3, Z3M (twice) and a Z4 3L. I was not a Porsche guy, not even when the Boxster came out. Problem began the first time I drove a Boxster S. I believe it was around 2006 or 2007 and I drove an '03S offered on a local lot. It only took a block or two before I realized I wanted one. By 2008, I was the proud owner of a 2000S that I still own. The car is great, and even at 134,500 miles, runs amazing and never fails to make me smile. My car has had some of the common issues yet none of the horror stories we read online. Heck, I haven't even had to replace my AOS yet. I have not done the IMS as my clutch has shown no signs of needing attention. I know its a gamble but this car owes me nothing.

Lately:
Like others, I've found my eye wandering toward the 996 and 997 cars. I'm aware of the differences and $ be damned, I'd buy a 997. Did I mention I still have two in college?
The prices of 996 cars are stupid cheap. Until yesterday, I just couldn't find the right car. Yesterday afternoon, a neighbor, and former coworker informed me that his 2003 Carrera Cab was going on a an Indy's site on consignment as he had just purchased a 2017 Cayenne GTS. Today, we chatted and it turned out he didn't cosign the car as the Indy currently has an 05 Cab that he's had little luck moving.

Cutting to the chase (finally):
Sorry for the long story. The 2003 is immaculate, 3 owner car. Arctic/black with grey interior. 67.6K miles. 6 speed. Everything works on the car. Clutch, IMSB (LN bearing, not 'solution') and RMS replaced within last two years. Water pump and coolant change as well around 60K miles. I don't know everything about the car but I familiar with it from the time the current owner purchased it in 2014. No accidents or paint work. I'd rate both interior and exterior on the 8.5-9 out of 10 range. Tires and brakes in great shape. 1 ignition key and one additional door key.

I think I can purchase this car for about $19.5K. Given its known maintenance history, this seems like a solid deal, not a screaming bargain but certainly not priced at a premium. If I buy it, I will sell my Boxster.

Opinions welcome.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote