View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
Hello Forum,
I have 2 (probably) dumb questions that I would like to get some clarity on.
I have read and re-read most of the threads on these subjects, but can't quite get my head around the answers.
So here goes:

The car is a 2002 Base with 150K

1. To replace the external chain tensioners only, do the engine and the cams need to be locked at TDC or can I just unscrew the old tensioners and screw in the new ones?

2. To replace the inner tie rods, it appears to me that there is a ball joint in front of the part where a wrench would lock onto the rod to thread it into place. Would this type of tool work? I don't understand how it would go around the ball joint to reach the tabs on the inner part of the tie rod to thread it in. For that matter, I'm not clear on how any of these tools get around/over the ball joint.
I can't visualize how this works!
Some have mentioned the Harbor Freight Tie Rod Tool and others Wayne's book suggests channel locks or a plumbers wrench. Not sure which tool to get or use.

Thanks

Rob
1. The engine should be locked at TDC, and the cams locked as well. You have a three chain engine, which is the most sensitive to jumping time, so take the necessary precautions.

2. That is wrong tool. You need an appropriate inner ball joint tool that slides on after the outer tie rod end is removed. We use a Mayhew Pro in the shop that automatically adjusts to any type of inner (pricey, but very useful):