View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
harrg67

Garage
YAIQ - Yet Another Immobilizer Question

Hi, I just bought a 2002 Boxster w/5 speed. It drove fine during the test drive, but the owner said there was a fuse or relay problem opening the hood & trunk, and windows. I probably should have known it couldn't be that easy.

So I drive it close to home, make a stop, then come back out and can't start the car. Electrics come on, no starter/click, etc. I can operate lights, convertible power top, etc so the battery is fine. The key fob lights up, but won't unlock/lock the car. The interior switches won't unlock the trunk/hood. The hood manual release cable won't budge.

I was able to push-start the car, get it running, and drive it home. Still can't start it. It appears to be the immobilizer from what I've read. Oddly, it appears that it has already been replaced, and the replacement is in the waterproof box from ECU repair in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm waiting to hear back from them, though they did respond to say their warranty doesn't apply once the car is sold.

My real question is if it's bad, what do I do? Can I buy a matched ECU/IMMOB/Keys set from eBay or elsewhere? Can I just replace the immobilizer?

Here are all the symptoms. Thanks for reading this long post.

Symptoms:
  • The car was starting when I test drove it, though on one attempt it didn't; all the lights came on and acted normally otherwise.
  • The owner told me the windows weren't working and they couldn't get into the trunk, but it was "likely just a fuse or relay".
  • I tried to energize the system with the slide-out positive lead in the fuse-box as the manual says, but no change.
  • The key fob blinks red when the buttons are pressed, but doesn't do anything.
  • The power windows and stereo won't turn on. The radio backlight does come on.
  • I checked every fuse and replaced a few just in case, but no change.
  • The front and rear trunks won't open at the switches. The manual release for the front trunk won't budge. I haven't tried the rear trunk.
  • I was able to push start the car when I was bringing it home and had stopped at the grocery store on the way home. It wouldn't start once I got back to the car. Battery seems fine, I can lower and raise the convertible top.
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote