View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #16
mjannone

Garage
[QUOTE=itsnotanova;567122]What's the diameter of your exhaust system? The the biggest problem with the 986 exhaust system is that it's way too small. That's why I used a 987 muffler. It's the same diameter as the 996

I purchased the NHP headers and mid pipes from Softronic (DME tuner) as part of the 3.4L conversion package. Softronic's website says the headers are 42mm primary piping (vs. 34.5mm for stock) with a 53mm exit pipe (vs. 42.5 for stock), and the mid pipes are 50mm (vs. 40mm for stock). These all appear to be an improvement over stock.

I am using the stock small-diameter U pipes that connect the mid pipes to the Beluga ebay muffler. There clearly is room for improvement here as these stock pieces are 40mm in diameter.

I am curious to know if the more restrictive, but larger diameter 987 muffler you have is a better performer than the less restrictive, but smaller diameter Beluga ebay muffler. I do know the Beluga muffler sounds insane at WOT where it is a full-blown race car soundtrack. Neighbors (and most wives) will object. It has calmed down a bit in the 400 miles I've put on the car since installing it, however there is no mistaking that its a performance car now. When I had the stock 986 muffler on the 3.4L, there was virtually no difference in sound from the 2.5L. It was quiet and unassuming, and obviously down big time on power.
mjannone is offline   Reply With Quote