View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
My 01 has always been pretty accurate on the auto oil level when checking it against the actual dipstick. Recently I did my spring oil change and new filter, poured in my 9 quarts of DT40 , now the level indicator shows low by a small amount and the dipstick shows it at the top level ??

Lucky for me my car has never used a drop of oil between changes, I always change the oil at 3K miles even back when using Mobil 1...anyone else experienced this.
That's interesting. And, as an aside, I'm hoping I didn't eff up something so simple as an oil change...

Likewise... my 98 burns zero oil (118,500 miles), and I'm 4K oil change.

Last weekend I changed, myself and for the first time, the oil and filter on my 98 Boxster. Upon completion I put in 9 quarts... took a reading (from the dipstick)... and it was a little low. Before I added the .3 quart I took a reading from the dash (key on, no start)... and the bars were just to the top of the line... leaving me an extra bar.

Now... when I had purchased the car I took it to an indy and had him change the oil, giving him 10 quarts and he returned around .7. At that time and since all the bars have been lit whenever I checked the reading electronically...

So I added the .3 quart. Level on the dipstick satisfied me. Checked the dash reading... and it still left me with one bar.

Took the car out a few times last week, maybe added 100 miles. One bar remained unlit. Yesterday, before going on a drive, the dash gave a reading of all the bars, and I hadn't added any oil.

I've read that the dipstick reading is the only way to go, and I'm more inclined to do so moving forward instead of relying on a dash light.

To answer your question, yes. :dance:

Last edited by Starter986; 04-02-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote