View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
PaulE

The sticker is for LN IMSB replacements and could also be under the trunk lid. It looks like this -

But not all installers enter their LN IMSB upgrades into the database. Mine wasn't entered, but I have my receipt, my sticker and my original IMSB. I don't know if all the manufacturers of IMSB upgrades provide stickers or databases like LN does. And even if there is a sticker, you'd still need to know that the same engine that had the IMSB replaced is still in the car. There are lots of other ways that these engines can fail besides the IMSB. JFB in PA is right about provenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxterity View Post
I'm interested to hear if anyone else has heard of this but when I bought my '99, I immediately took it to a certified Porsche mechanic to have the IMS done. The first thing the mechanic did (before it was even in the engine bay) was check along the inside of drivers side door for a sticker which Porsche mechanics apparently apply that indicates the if/when the IMS had previously been replaced and date the work was done. He told me this because he said they are supposed to be replaced every 6 years and it's a time thing not mileage. I dunno, maybe start be checking for this sticker/stamp, you might luck out.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote