View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Yes, I did an archive search, but I could not find any info on this particular question!

I am in the process of changing my OEM 17” wheels to the optional 18” OEM wheels, and the new wheel style has a much more “open” spoke construction, meaning that the rotor and calipers behind are now much more visible than before.

I have always been pleased with the braking performance of the OEM set-up (used as a 100% street car), but in trial fitting the new 18” wheels, the rotors now appear to have been downsized (in a relative sense) since there is now more daylight visible between the outside edge of the rotor and the inside edge of the new wheels.

I am aware of the many high quality Big Brake kits which are available – Brembo, StopTech, and the like. These all come with larger calipers, braided lines, better pads, and all of the rest. But in my case I openly admit that my intent here is more cosmetic in nature, and that I do not really need any notable increase in stopping performance.

So, my question: Might anyone know of a readily available OEM front and/or rear rotor, perhaps from another model make or year? Looking for ones which would be roughly about 1” larger in their outside diameter, would be of the correct thickness, and which would properly fit right up to the OEM hubs.

I figure that if I can find these rotor candidates, I then should be able to correspondingly configure the adaptors for the OEM calipers to space them out ½” further away from the hub. I have access to a machine shop which can fabricate the caliper spacers as will be needed, so that part isn’t the concern here.

Thanks - DM
Your problem of fitting "S" type rotors on the rear of a base car (if that is where you are going) is that the emergency brakes on the base are totally different than the S. To covert the car over to S brakes, you are going to need to swap out the uprights and hub carriers for those from the S, otherwise you will need to go totally after market.