View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
dghii

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojan666 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I really need to find a base 2009 to 2012 near me to test drive and see if that is enough for me. That way I will know if i need to put more down and go for an S and just have the IMSB as a non issue. Not finding many near by unless I want to drive an hour or so just to test drive. I'll keep looking for something to turn up.
So I've flirted with a 2010 base car off and on as its been for sale on at a local Lincoln/Hyundai dealer. A couple of weeks ago I stopped by and the sales person let me take the car out by myself (one of the benefits of getting older). I know the 2010 car is within a few HP of my 2000S but wanted to see how it felt.

I didn't dog the car but played with it a bit after letting it warm up. The car felt nice and tight, with firm suspension and nice brake action. As for acceleration, the car was plenty quick but the biggest difference I notice was torque. My car seems to pull stronger, even at lower revs compared to the 2010. Don't get me wrong, the 2010 is very quick once the revs are up a bit an would be a blast to drive no doubt.

To me, its economics but thats a personal decision for each of us as to what's worth it and what to gain. I too was attracted to the idea of no IMS bearing and no direct injection and may well end up with an 09-10 base car at some point. Just not now.

Luckily, the car is now sold so I don't have to think about it anymore. Now there's a really nice '03 Carrera for sale by owner with only 52K miles that looks great that's gettable in the high teens. Decisions, decisions!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote