View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #56
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Just read this whole nice old thread...
I still can't believe people here (US) can get a driver's licence without passing the parallel parking and the incline start tests. To pass my driver's exam in Europe (among many other tests) in a very small car I had to stop on a very steep incline with three bulky inspectors on board. Going back even a tiny bit before driving off fails you on the test. And you HAVE to pass the test on a manual car regardless of whether you own an automatic or a manual.

There is no way with a manual shifter that you can avoid going back on a steep incline without the help of a hand brake. Theoretically it may be possible but it would be a very hectic endeavor and a very nasty lurch forward for sure. I have always used the hand brake and I have never rolled back. It takes a while to master the three moving parts (two feet + hand) but it's the proper technique and it's definitely worth practicing and learning.
Hi,

Each State here in the US has a different Drivers Test. In my state - Minnesota, we had to both parallel park and start on an incline, Illinois too when I took their test in the '80's...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote