Thread: its here
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
lcsdoug

Garage
its here

My Speed Yellow 987 arrived the other day. Few pictures of the unboxing as it was after 7pm and dark and cold. I had contracted with Montway and they employed OK Auto Carrier. They picked it up on time and delivered it on time. Car was in excellent shape. It was an enclosed truck and they had the car covered in plastic sheet. Excellent delivery at a fair price.

I had it delivered to my daughter's address in Wauwatosa, WI in a quiet little neighborhood with narrow streets. Fortunately there were no cars parked on the street when the truck arrived. He had three cars to remove before he could reach my car, one was a white Viper another a blue restomod 57 Chevy with no mufflers I could notice - Loud. Pretty soon lots of neighbors were out watching the show. One came over to me and said they hadn't had this much excitement here in years. Then a police car arrived said they had an anynomous call complaining about illegal parking. He came over to the crowd and said oh, sombebody's getting a car delivered. So he stayed awhile and watched with the neighbors.

Then finally he got to the boxster, and he started it up and backed it out with giant clouds of white smoke. Oh boy, what did I get. By the time it was off the truck and on the street the smoke had dissipated and I could not see any more smoke from the exhaust. Maybe the 2000+ mile trip jostled a little oil into the manifold. I've been watching closely and haven't had a repeat of the smoke so maybe it's ok.

So the second day home, I decided to install my Garmin gps. I used an Bussman ATC add a tap. They fit fine with the fuse cover on. Checking the fuse box, C1 was open and it went on and off with ignition, perfect. There was a small bolt above and the left of the gas pedal that I secured the ground wire with an M6 nut and washer. Ran all the leads up and under the left side of the dash. Nice easy install. I had the radio on and reset all the station buttons. Then I thought I would take it for a drive and test the gps. So, I put the tools away and opened the garage door, got in, turned the key and clickety click click and nothing. All kinds of error messages popping up PSM failure ABS failure something small in red I couldn't even read. I put in a gps and fried my car!

I pulled the fuse box cover and removed the add a tap. Still nothing, just a lot of clicks and error messages. Soon I didn't even get clicking. Starting to panic now. Turned everything off went inside to get on the internet to find some answers. Nothing helpful except maybe check the battery. Sounded reasonable so I opened the lid and connected my battery charger. Set it on high about 40 amps and waited an hour or so. With high anxiety I removed the charger and gave it a try. Success! started right up. Whew... What a relief. Re-connected my gps and it worked fine.

So the battery is an Interstate and 5 years old. I usually replace a car battery anyway after 5 years so I went and purchased an Everstart Maxx H7 which I'd seen recommended by a number of owners. Now before I swap this out, is there any surprise waiting? Or is this just a normal reset the radio type switch out. It's always exciting expecting the unexpected with a used car. I'm to old for many more shocks.