View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The swirls that I found after buffing aren't your typical swirls - they looked more like the motion I used with the speed clay. That's why I was suspecting it. When looking at the product in the store, my concern was where do the imperfections pulled from the surface go? The speed clay is not porous and won't absorb them like clay bar would. Seems to me they would just remain on the surface of the speed clay and could potentially scratch your paint.
Yep, exactly why I'm not a fan of the 'synthetic' clay kit options sold these days - mitts, pads, whatever... For average Joes who aren't into detailing and just need heavy surface contamination cleaned quickly, it's sufficient I suppose. Might be tolerable for light finishes (i.e. white, silver, etc.) where swirls don't show easily but otherwise wouldn't even think of using. Just be glad you didn't use the kind which it attaches to your DA or rotary. Surprised Griots sells some but then again at one point they sold a pad w/ a pocket you dropped an actual clay bar into for 'high speed' claying

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
But I figured if Mother's is selling it, they would have figured that out before marketing the product.
Marketing is about promoting. And we've had our share of gorilla marketers here over the years [cough]. For instance, how many IMS solutions/fixes have been served up? Including those selling their current 'final fix'. As opposed to their previous 'final fix(es)' - LOL. And there will be more... caveat emptor

Hopefully the damage isn't too severe and w/ a mild polish you can get it back quickly.

Good luck