View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 AM   #16
BeechSierra

My dealership recommended a local repairer and the work seems to be holding nicely. The system used was called "Novus" and I was told it is a patented system. Additionally, you have to understand there are many factors that have a negative effect on the any chip repair.

First there is the system used, they are not all the same. True the basic idea is to create a vacuum then inject a clear resin but the equipment used and the user can have a big impact on the success.

Second, how soon after the chip was the repair done. If the chip gets water in it from rain, washing or windshield wiper's fluid, the chip is less likely to be successfully sealed.

Third is the size and nature of the chip. If it really "spiders" quickly (and I'm talking an eigth inch here) the job gets more difficult.

Fourth is proper curing. Most of the resins used are cured by UV rays and need proper curing time and technique.

Hope this helps. The job done on our Boxster was the day after the damage and the repairs are virtually invisible. It has been several days now and it still looks good.
BeechSierra is offline   Reply With Quote