View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #31
rastta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
My 986 was set up exactly as a track capable street car to BSX class rules. I didn't have any issues with the PS pump in over 100 track days so I don't think it *MUST be a weak link. Unless you are running 40 TW R-comps and sawing the wheel way too much you probably won't have much trouble with it either. The UD pulley does help take the strain off by effectively lowering the PS RPM with no downsides. Remember that the steering wheel is effectively a brake so drive the car with your right foot and apply minimum steering input. This is faster and improves reliability.

I also kept the A/C because I live in the desert and on rain days the AC works great as a windshield de-fog. Ask the SpecBox guys about this. A lotta work to pull it out for little gain and you do lose a lot of creature comfort in the process.

Getting competitive:
UD pulley
Race seats bolted to the floor
Lightweight battery
Roll bar ext for safety
PSS9
Comp sways
4 sets of 17" wheels
Racing brake pads
Motul 600 brake fluid
GT3 front brake ducts
NT-01 tires both square and staggered for different track configurations.
Pro corner balance, alignment and suspension setup.
Class weight was 2950 lbs all up with driver and I was right on it with 1/4 tank of gas. In CA we have to meet sound rules to run Laguna Seca so I left the exhaust bone stock. I never got blackballed for sound as many of my competitors did.

This car was very competitive with several BSX TT championships and 4 BSX track records across all of PCA, POC, and NASA. It was also still comfortable and fun to drive in the canyons.

What would I do differently? If not constrained by BSX class rules I would have added GT3 arms for better adjustability, to get more camber up front and improve tire wear. PSS9s are a compromise strut and work *just ok*. If I wanted better control of the contact patch I would go with JRZ for full adjustability at the cost of around $8k installed and tuned. I rarely ran R7 tires and felt that the comp sways often tied the car down too much for NT-01s so I ran them at or near full soft. I might have gone with the simpler M030 sways and tuned with the struts instead for better control.
While I run Moton Motorsports on my Boxster - I just had Ohlins R+T coilovers installed on my 987 Cayman S. I've had numerous coilovers, shocks/spring combos before on a street car or street/track car and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with the Ohlins. With 400lb/460lb spring rates f/r - I was worried they'd be pretty harsh on the street and it's not the case. The special valving is excellent and works as advertised. I only paid $2300 for the set new from Performance Shock at Sears Point Raceway.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote