View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The only one of the codes that I found in the Tiptronic diagnosis section of the service manual was 82 (Porsche DTC 82, OBD II P1823), "Pressure regulator 3, Open circuit/short circuit to ground, short to B+."

I don't know anything about this stuff, but if it's going to cost thousands for a shop to fix anyway, I wouldn't fear digging in and seeing if I could make it better...

After noting the codes, I would clear the codes, try driving (no farther than I would want to push the car) and see what happens.

For the Pressure Regulator faults 80, 81, 82, and 83, the manual says:

"1. Check the pressure regulator with wiring. To do this connect an ohmmeter to the control module connector and measure the resistance:"
-Pressure regulator 3 is measured from pin 52 and pin 29. "Nominal value: 5 ... 10 Ohms."
***Page 37-3 of the Bentley Manual shows the numbering of the pins.
(Other pressure regulators: pressure regulator 1 is pin 52 - pin 5, 2 is pin 52 - pin 1, 4 is pin 52 to pin 4.)

"2. Check the wiring from the control module connector pins 1, 4, 5, and 29 to the 16 pole connector pins 3, 11, 2, and 7 for continuity, short to ground and short to B+."
***For pressure regulator 3, that's just pin 29 on the control module connector to pin 7 on the 16 pin connector.

3. [...the last step is to pull the whole valve body out of the transmission and check the resistance at the pressure regulator itself, 5 ... 10 Ohms.]

What is not mentioned is that a faulty TCU may be the problem.

Here is a link to download the parts manual directly from the manufacturer, ZF:
https://www.zf.com/global/media/zf_media/document/int_print_catalogs_documents/usa_4/5hp19flporsche.pdf
Lots of good diagrams and info including the fluid service procedure.

If you want to really get into the transmission, there are some great YouTube videos by Jeff Richardson rebuilding the BMW version of the transmission (very similar to ours).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9foaj6Q-gE