View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #19
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
I'm a DIY mechanic so I want the best access to the engine. Plastic. Also as a sporty driver I want the best view. Plastic.

Plastic is more functional. Glass is more cosmetic.
Bottom line up front - Your comparison between the plastic window and an aftermarket glass-window top is valid. But, I haven't heard anyone say that they regret putting an 03/04 top and frame on an earlier car.

Access to the engine is fine with an 03 or 04 top and frame. I've heard that the aftermarket glass window tops on an original frame make life a bit more difficult for the DIY mechanic.

The rear view with the 03/04 top and frame is also good. The plastic window was larger, but when they get hazy you feel like you are looking through a shower curtain in the back. I kept my plastic window pretty clear with regular polishing, but it was never going to be as nice as glass. Again, I have no first hand experience but I heard that looking through the aftermarket glass windows is like looking through a mail slot.

The glass windows also have a defroster which comes in handy if you drive your car year round.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote