View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
morgal48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Not sure i like the price point on those. Power wise looking no more than 100 watts rms mains, and 300 for sub channel. The focals are out of my price i like the k2 line but budget. Crutchfield rep picked some jl audio 5.25 shallow subs for the doors, but a little over $300 for the pair. They match the box volume so should work. Too complicated. Was at a sight called madisound diy speaker builder sight, have some morels and other brands. Tough decision.
I kept my CDR220 and installed 4 ea. of the Madisound 3" midrange in the rear speaker deck to replace the factory originals, and put Polk Audio 2-ways in the dash. I also considered changing to a larger door speaker but found that the sound from the factory 5.25" door subs with the new Polk Audio 5-channel amp I installed made a significant difference in sound. The 4X70w @ 4-ohms and 1X500w @ 1-ohm power output w/the 2 ohm factory door speakers in parallel sounds better than I thought it might. Tuning the amp properly makes a huge difference. I got a car audio shop to show me how to do that.
THINGS I LEARNED: I planned to use either the factory amp or CD changer bracket, but sizewise those did not work. If you're really lucky you can use the existing mounting holes; I was not and could only use one. There is a hole in the firewall near the steering column you can use to run power and control between the head unit and the amp. Littlefuse fuses won't fit in a Boss Audio fuseholder.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote