View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
Brian in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc94303 View Post
I'm tired of floor jacking my Boxster and am planning a future engine removal. Do any of the Quicklift Portable Vehicle Lifts elevate a Boxster high enough to remove the engine? Or can I use one to lift the car in a couple of increments to jack stands high enough to accomplish an engine R&R?
Let me know your experience with this, please. I have a one story garage and don't have ceiling height for a 2 post lift, which would be ideal.

Thanks,
rwc94303
It would be nice to be able to afford a Quickjack, but besides the fact that it takes valuable space in the shop, it is rather expensive. And, no, it won't lift the car high enough to get the engine to clear the rear suspension system parts that you will leave in the car.

I just finished changing an engine, I used two tall jackstands that would hold the car high enough and an air-pneumatic 12 ton jack to lift the car in stages to the correct height. I used a cherry picker-engine hoist to lower the engine onto a reinforced (w/ 3/4" plywood) furniture flat dolly--be sure to strap the engine/transmission to the dolly with ratcheting cargo straps. (you don't want to know what happens if you don't.) All this stuff is from Harbor Freight--you need a compressor for the air jack. Oh, and invest in those foam floor pads that HF, Home Depot, and Lowes sell. Your knees will thank you some day.

Take careful notes, as you disconnect something, write it down in the order you take it off. It all has to go back together in a fairly specific order--if you don't you'll have to go back, lower the engine and connect the component. There is virtually no room around the engine to do anything without lowering the engine.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 02-26-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote