View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
xr_guys

Brian,

Initially I have the impression that we have plenty of historical documentation people posted the necessary info for others to use. I was surprise not much really to follow on the electrical except for taking the engine and transmission, ohh well.

Additional pictures where you can see the debris getting suck in between the two radiators. I believe (please someone confirm) the radiator fan air direction suck air from front to back. When the front radiator become clog with debris, the low pressure get created on the side forcing the debris the low-pressure side. Ones its inside (in-between) its not going away even water pressuring it (please don’t do that!), just saying. With that much debris blocking the radiator no wonder why cracking cylinder head are common on this car. Then you find the intermix issue to late adding most cost to the actual recovery to get the car back.

I would encourage to please check yours now and set aside a weekend or less to this job.

Paul,
I understand others concern the metal impeller would cause if NOT found soon enough, but no large chunk of plastic that will get lodge inside the engine. Base on my experience, water pump bearing will induce some noise before it fail and since you have it just behind the driver you should hear this warning noise. Or more so just replace it every 40K? I also replace my thermostat to 160, this is not necessary if water cooling system are service regular. But since I’m going to drive this car for fun (hard spanking from time to time), just for added assurance. I think normal driving stock thermostat will do.

xr_guys is offline   Reply With Quote