View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #15
Brian in Tucson

I'm in the process of finishing up switching out an 02 engine (base) into my 01 (base) and the "while I have it out" costs DO add up. Just normal stuff like coolant hoses, plugs & tubes, water pump, serpentine belt, engine mount, spin on oil filter fitting, & UDP. And oil, coolant/distilled water, hose clamps, filters, and auto trans oil, gasket, and filter. Then, of course, I had to switch one of the v-cam solenoids from the old engine to the replacement--sheared wires. Once it's back on the road, I'm thinking that a water pump and an engine mount will become part of the 60,000 service. Doesn't pay to wait for things to break.

As much hardwater calcium carbonate as I found in the old engine, I've already started to save for a set of radiators.

On both of the engines, the water pumps showed no sign of failure.

Still, it seems strange to recycle a "perfectly good" water pump. They are inexpensive enough to replace and throw away, tho.

Oh, and I just bought $600+ in floor paint and have to rent a grinder for the concrete floor in my carport. Brake cleaner works great for getting up oil drips.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 02-21-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote