View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
MWS

Agreed on scraping the Bose, and start from scratch. The dash speakers are easy enough to remove (just 2 screws) but the access is somewhat frustrating due to the slope of the windshield. Also, when you pull the fronts, check your depth and width as (if I remember correctly) on the drivers side there is a piece of sheet metal that can limit options...I think I ended up trimming this with a dremmel. Also, it can be helpful to remove the shroud that covers the instrument panel...not hard to do.

On the doors, there is some disassembly required to make sure you get every screw that holds the panel on. I followed some tips I found on this forum...do a search (sorry I don't have readily available). For the door baffles, I left intact and just replaced speaker. I thought about redesigning the enclosure, but left "as is" and am not displeased with results...and yes, the door is a single speaker (not sure exactly what the range was, but let's just call it a sub). Also while you have the door panels off, you might want to think about the covering armrest lids as these are really easy to remove with the door panels off and I considered this a great time to do them (I did mine in leather...best mini-mod I've done).

Regarding crossovers...this is obviously dependent on the speaker setup you choose, but I went with dedicated crossovers for the dash (mid &high) with a sub pass to the doors. Granted this places the doors and dash on the same "front" channel, but if you are going to do the rear shelf, it still allows fading control. I thought about having the dash as the front channel and the doors on rear and the shelf as RAF (rear area fill), this would have given the ability to more accurately balance the front stage to the subs, but elected to let the sub crossover handle the db. Also thought about a six channel setup, but I went the easy route with a four channel amp.

Final thought...you can end up spending a lot of time designing a wonderful "theoretical" acoustic setup, but in the end, this is a convertible and everything that looks good on paper will disappear the moment the top goes down. I'm not suggesting that you cheap out on the speakers (if your going to do it, do it right), just keep realistic expectations on the final product. Speaking of cheaping out, please don't go to all the work and try to reuse the Bose speakers...they are almost 20 years old and weren't the best choice back then.

Whatever you do, do the best that you can do. Keep things neat and professional...nothing irks me more than a thrown together hack job, just to get things done. A little time spent now saves a lot of headaches later...if not for you, at least for a future owner.

Best wishes, and let us know.

Last edited by MWS; 02-18-2018 at 10:14 AM.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote