View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
mikeyg

Joy! Tiptronic emergency / end run

Ok.
Car back from coolant fix, less than 80miles later I move to my next problem.
I went for a drive out and slowly, the transmission started playing up.
It would slip on 2nd and 3rd in both drive and manual (tiptronic) occasionally clunking into gear.
On long straights, no problem.
When I got into town it stalled at traffic lights. At this point I realised I was heading to my next expensive problem.
I turned round to head home as delicately as I could.
Unfortunately, I live at the top of a very large steep hill. As I was coming to the top of it, the gears were slipping a lot more and eventually I got a (i think) "Tiptronic Emergency or End Run" on the dash.
The car stuck in gear with "4" flashing on the dial.
I got over the hill and parked up, the car stalled again and when started wouldn't release from gear.
I disconnected the battery to reset the system and at least now the car doesn't stall in reverse or drive but unfortunately, when I try reverse or drive, it engages but grinds when i find the biting point to move. Naturally, I don't force it to go and i just put it back in park and turn off!
From reading posts, I guess a change of tranmission oil and filter is now my first choice but on a scale of 1 (being good) 10 (being bad) how much trouble am I in?
4 months I've had this car, less than 800 miles driven and I've spent over 1500 in fixes so far.
Gutted isn't good enough!!
Hope someone can help
mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote