View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Oldcarguy

What's the generally accepted best headlight clear coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Those look great. How long did each side take?
Hi Rex, Thanks. About 3 hours per side including drying time and final polishing. I took it slow and I wanted to be sure that all the original UV coating layer was off the lenses. A 3” DA sander is perfect for the job.

The best is to get both lenses through sanding, priming and drying, then mix the catalyst and do the final coat on both lenses one immediately after the other.

Here’s a pic after the final sanding, just before primer:

The primer goes on milky clear and dries to a clear satin mat finish. It’s in the process of drying here:

And here’s the lens with the primer completely dry:

There’s no sanding between the primer and 2k finish. After the primer dries, another quick pass with the tack cloth and you are on to applying the 2k top coat. Here’s a pic after the top coat, before final polishing:

I did have some minor orange peel (my fault) but the final polishing after 2k application took care of that.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-06-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote