View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
roundel325

If you're looking for a budget-friendly solution you could pull that bearing (since you already bought the tool) and replace it with a good quality 3204 2RS C3 (SKF or FAG, $70). You will need to source a 47mm ring clip and 3.13mm center bolt spacer to account for the new bearing being narrower without a retaining wire groove. In my opinion you can reuse the center bolt if you don't use it to pull the old bearing out (obviously it was not designed for that). You can buy an updated triple seal flange or reuse your old flange and fit a viton x-type seal for a little leak insurance.

I did all this on my car 5k miles ago and it hasn't blown up or leaked yet (Yay! One data point...). My factory dual row bearing was tight after 18 years and 65k miles, so I plan to replace it every clutch service. My opinion is that if you have a dual row, you have a maintenance item (sealed ball bearings are service items in any application). If you have a single row car, you have a design deficiency and need to upgrade your bearing to an after market dual row or plain bearing. PM me it you want to take this route and I can give you specific links to what I bought.
roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote