View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
MWS

Question, and please do not take offense...I am asking because I do not race, I am just curious. I know that some people who race are on a quest to lighten their cars as much as possible, and I can understand that with that mindset that it would become easy to obsess over every ounce of "car weight". My question is, given what you were asking about, does 5 pounds really make any noticeable difference? For example, how would that amount of weight influence a 1/4 mile time? In my mind, in would be in the billionths of a second. Additionally, if a couple of pounds does matter, wouldn't every driver go on a diet to drop every pound of unnecessary body weight? From the professional drivers I've seen, this doesn't appear to be the case...they seem "fit", but not emaciated, and could easily drop a couple more ounces (or pounds) if they were really serious about gaining an edge.

I guess my question really is...do a few pound really matter, or is it more a case of obsession and removal because "it can be removed/can be lightened" but offers no measurable improvement in doing so?

Again, no offense meant, just my curious mind is, well...curious.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote