View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
After much time I have finally decided not to replace my IMS bearing even though I am replacing clutch/flywheel and RMS.
Mine has the dual row bearing with very low failure rates and I don't want to replace what I think might be a perfectly good bearing. I just don't like the idea of messing about with something and potentially creating more problems.
I will however remove the flange and have a look at it (and replace the bearing if it appears to be about to fail) and I would like to remove the outer seal to allow better oil flow. Flange seal to be replaced too.
Baz from Hartech posted a good essay on his thoughts and I agree with what he says but he goes into some detail about removing the seal here and I am not totally sure what this means...

Removing the outer seal of an existing bearing is a good option (if the existing bearing seems OK) and the only danger then is to make sure the spindle is not strained when aligning the out spider carrier back into the location hole. This spindle has a weak spot where an "O" ring is fitted and is it unfortunate that at precisely the point that the spider fits on to the spindle the outer diameter of the spider fits into its location hole and both need the IMS to be pulled sideways to pull against the chain tension (even with the tensioners relaxed) to locate both in their respective holes.

Has anyone done this?

This is the whole thread on Pistonheads. https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1564383
Many times.

He is refering the the center bolt which he calls the "spindle", and he calls the flange cover a "spider carrier". The factory center bolt has a rather severe undercut which is where the bolt oring sits. It is also the most likely point where the factory center bolt fails, so he is telling you to be careful with it. The LN bearings come with a completely different center bolt specifically to address this weakness.