View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
speedyspaghetti

Suggested order of suspension repairs?

Hey guys - so I've been dealing with this infuriating, sanity-questioning inducing suspension vibration that I can feel through my steering wheel for the past couple of months. It feels like a rapid clunk/judder at all speeds above 20 mph. So far, I have:

1. Replaced tires and had them road force balanced
2. Replaced inner/outer tie rods
3. Replaced sway bar end links
4. Had an alignment done
5. Had the tires/wheels balanced again with a lugcentric balancer

Car is a 2002 Boxster S with 85k miles. Tire pressure is at the door jamb recommendations - 29 front, 36 rear.

I've taken it to a couple mechanics and most have said they cannot feel anything, but one suggested that my strut mounts are worn, rear track arms are worn, and passenger side rear strut is seeping oil. I figure I just need to start tackling these things since no mechanic seems to be able to tell me with certainty what the issue is.

My question is: if this were you car, what order would you do everything in? I plan on replacing the struts and strut mounts, rear track arms, and probably control arms since the Meyle OEMs are only like $90 each. As far as I understand, all of the above, besides rear track arms, require an alignment. As of now, I'm planning on doing the following - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Replace rear track arms with TRW OEM parts - $175 each, I don't know if these would be the cause of my problem since it definitely feels like it's coming from the front end, but I've heard that they can impact it.
2. Replace struts, strut mounts, and control arms. Also, possibly sway bar bushings.

Is there any way of doing control arms without getting an alignment? Or should I just go for it and swap everything out?

Thank you everyone.
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote