View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
The Radium King

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Thanks for the tip TRK! I’m still waiting to hear from my guy at Porsche to see if he will upload the special edition flash. He seems positive but wants to research it all before going ahead. Very Porsche engineer style as opposed to my Ah, what the hell, what could go wrong? attitude!
no sweat. sorry i can't be more help on the flash bit. what i do know is that the tool used by the porsche techs currently is more evolved than my decade-old pst2; same functionality i presume, but different interfaces so i can't give a step by step.

it will, however, be easier for you than it was for me, as you are using a 986 flash. in my case i am using a 996 flash, so i actually had to go in as a 996, get a bunch of errors, then go into the dme programming module and push the new tune (ie, the computer will only offer 996 tunes if it thinks you are a 996). now when i want to look at engine stuff i go in as a 996, and when i want to looks at perhipherial stuff (gauge cluster, abs, etc.) i go in as a 986.

the basics of your process will be to go into the program as a 986, find the dme programming module, enter your dme programming code, and select from a list of available flashes. 5 minutes later you are faster. don't expect your tech to know anything about this as it is not something they are trained to do. i'd forward you the manuals i have on the process, but again it is for my old pst2 and will most likely have no applicability to what the tech is using now.

note that you will also have the opportunity to chose a NA or ROW version of each flash. ROW gives you the ability to pull the SAI off your car (you'll need two inexpensive oem blocking plates) delete secondary o2 senors (ie, run test pipes) and drive your car into the garage door when you try to start it in gear. ROW also only reads deviation for one bank, so harder to set timing later on if you need to. i guess it depends on what they do for emmissions testing in PQ.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote