View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
Oldcarguy

GBox 2nd gear detent installed yesterday. Took less than an hour. Tools used were 8 inch 3/8” swivel head ratchet, 3/8” 15 inch breaker bar, 8mm allen head male socket, 13mm box head wrench, and 7mm flat end (not ball head) allen wrench.

- Use of the 7mm allen wrench as the extract tool was brilliant as suggested in the post below. I did not have clearance to use either of my flex head magnets and they would not have worked as well anyway (if at all).

2nd Gear Detent Replacement,

- I did the install with the transmission in 1st gear to move the counterweight out of the way. The little L shaped heat shield cover was MIA on my car. Will add to my Sunset parts list for order.

- I think the Borla exhaust gave me the room to use the 15” breaker bar. The 8mm plug came lose with no problems.

- I lightly oiled the new detent with Mobil 1 0w-40. Even though I was very careful to align the detent, I did have to rotate it slightly to seat it correctly. I heard and felt it when it “dropped” into place

Haven’t had a chance to drive it due to weather, but it static shifts ok into all gears and reverse. Here’re a few pics:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote