Thread: Engine Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #20
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinemn View Post
Funny you should mention the wrist pins, I felt pretty confident up until I saw the YouTube video of them being installed, looks very challenging but doable with either the proper tool or a fabricated one.
How do you know if the piston and connecting rod are lined up before inserting the wrist pin?
Pre position the connecting rod, as I recall that is BDC. Then line up the piston compress the rings and install it in the bore. I had everything slopped in Mobil1. Gently tap the piston towards the rod while watching through the pin / clip installation hole. When it got close I cheated to get the final alignment by moving the crankshaft slightly. I also made my own wrist pin / clip installation tool with 3/4 electrical conduit and socket extensions.

The hardest part was getting the wrist pin clips into the installation tool without over bending them. I ended up using a piece of wood and a screwdriver. It was not graceful. The glenn986 video shows the tool he made to do this which was graceful.