View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
Brian in Tucson

Good first stop, Josh. Welcome.

I bought a very forlorn 2001 Boxster base last summer. Cheap, $3200 us$.

But the saying goes, "There's no such thing as a cheap Porsche." I knew there were problems, the seats had been eaten by the sun, the top was worn and windowless, the power windows didn't work, the coolant tank leaked, the top electrics didn't work, it (the top) had been converted to manual, and it was dirty beyond belief.

As I got into it, I found that struts were blown, the cv joint boots were torn, the engine leaked coolant and oil & smoked & smelled awful.

The good: well it drives awfully nice. And it keeps my mind sharp (these things are not easy to work on.)

Currently, it's sitting in the carport on jackstands. Engine has been replaced with one that doesn't/won't leak oil, with a later style IMS--the engine was factory remanufactured after 2005. I've looked at the usual indicators of its life, no corrosion in the cooling system parts, the oil filter was clean, and the oil was a lovely amber color.

Oh, and I had the weathered, oxidized, peeling clear coat paint repainted---from silver to red.

Why, you may be asking, is Brian telling me all this?

First, there really is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. It's either been neglected or abused. Neither is good.

Second, my experience will inform you of possible problems. Spring for the Pre Purchase inspection. Please.

Third, if you've worked on other cars, the Boxster is probably unlike anything you've ever worked on. Not terribly difficult, but for a newbie like me everything is a puzzle. Nothing is terribly straightforward, but there's lots of Youtube, and the Porsche fixers are a willing lot, they like to share, and they know their beans.

Again, welcome and good hunting! Bag a good one!

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 01-18-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote