View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Porsche-Eh

No problem. Photos uploaded (see my original post). First 2 are of my car and last one from PP is to help you understand where the pin is. All red text was added by me. The first picture shows the pistol by the fuse box. It comes out from underneath, the only reason they recommend you take out the cluster is to make it easier to push the little pin that is IN the pistol down. The hole to push the pin down is accessible from the top, but you can pretty easily reach it from underneath if you feel around with your hand. The trick, like most things car related, is having the right tool. I have a few 90 degree alan keys, and such that would work. You just need to make sure the key is on so the steering lock retracts into the pistol and then push the pin down, it doesn't take any real force to push the pin down. Does that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2000 View Post
Tommy/Porsche-eH
Thanks for responding.. I had found and watched those videos you shared several times. And I got the 2 torx bolts out w/o any issues.

It's just in my case, it did not just "lift out" like she shows in her video. Her car either had more slack in the wiring harnesses or maybe she'd done it on that car before (i'm assuming) so when she filmed it, things were already loosened up and ready to go.

I just didn't have that much slack despite an hr or 2 of wrestling with it and trying not to make matters worse by over-forcing something.

Porsche-eH - It sounds like you are saying you got that entire ignition pistol (aka steering lock assembly) out/replaced in your car, and did it all w/o removing the dash/gauge cluster. Ostensibly by working from underneath (while perched in the wheel well). If so, that's good for you. I would not want to even attempt that as I feel like getting this pistol assembly out, I would need as much access as possible (and I can't imagine doing it from underneath only) since we are talking a fairly large part that's gotta be pulled out.

If you have more photos/video you can share of what you did that might really help.
Thanks

Last edited by Porsche-Eh; 01-16-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote