View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
CJ_Boxster

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I think i seen it whiel washing my car a week ago, does it look like a small black cyclindar shaped peice of plastic that might be molded into the passenger front grille?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The pictures in the link are of me and Dan when we did 6 OBC retrofits at the same time at Bruce's house. They were taken years ago and I do it a bit differently now.

The OBC is in the instrument cluster.

The very early cars did not have the temp sensor in the grill. There is just a rubber plug. If you turn on the OBC on a car without the sensor then what you see is - - - (three dashes). No temp display because there is no sensor.

A few years ago I retrofitted the sensor on a December 1996. We also have a local November 1996 that does not have the sensor. My late January 1997 has the sensor. So I think cars made prior to January 1997 do not have the sensor.

But, and there is always a but. An early car without the sensor might have had one put in early in it's life. Somehow this sensor also has something to do with the a/c. Back when the 1997s were new Peter Smith had a customer with an a/c problem. PCNA told him to retrofit the sensor.

On the December 1996 Peter turned on the OBC and all we saw was - - -. About a week later we put the sensor in while the bumper cover was being replaced. As soon as I hooked up the sensor we saw the temp. We did not install the stalk or switch for the other OBC features, as the owner just wanted the temp display.

You need to look at your car and see if it has the sensor in the grill. If you do then you just need to have the OBC turned on with a PST2/PIWIS.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote