View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Z,

No problem on the hijack, but I am still looking for answers on my original question :

How long can the Boxster sit dormant without enough drain to the battery that I would have problems starting the car ?

Thx !
Hi,

The best answer is 2-3 weeks. I say the best answer because everyone has a different battery, different size (CCA - Cold Cranking Amps), different manufacturer (more or less plates and electrolyte), varying ages to the batteries, different climates and storage facilites, different options on their cars, different driving habits (some long-haulers, some short haulers), varying states of the condition of their cars, alternators, whether they lock their cars, whether or not they have ever had their battery run down completely (recent studies have shown a battery can lose up to 15% of it's ability to hold a charge with every discharge it experiences), and so on.

Each of these variables makes a difference. If you don't lock your car, several circuits stay live for up to 4 hours such as the airbag, power windows, and several engine control circuits, all drawing miniscule amounts, but it all adds up, especially if this is habitual.

Now, some people will testify they can go a month or more. I'm sure they can. But, if you examine their car, battery and their habits, I suspect you'll find that these things together prolong their batteries and it's health as opposed to some of the others. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote