View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
zanzibar986

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
totally what newart said; pelican can't be expected to know the sales tax/import tax/duty/etc for every country in the world. and if they did, and included it in the price, there is no easy mechanism for them to remit to the country in question. that's why it is charged at the border upon import, long after it has left pelican's hands.

what i hate is fed ex. you pay a big courier fee for international shipping, then you get with duty when it crosses the border, and THEN fed ex sends you a separate, seemingly arbitrary, invoice for brokerage fees.

but yeah, nothing is free; imported items in the UK are more expensive because they are including the import duties in the price, as well as any sales taxes, etc. and realise that they probably purchased in bulk, so saw better shipping rates than you would buying an individual item. and then there is the currency exchange game - what was the value of the $ when they purchased their items, vs now when you are looking to purchase. think it's expensive now? wait until the trade wars start and duty on luxury goods goes through the ruf.
Don't get me started on FedEx , i had a very "interesting" conversation with them today
zanzibar986 is offline   Reply With Quote